Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week!

I'm going to kick off Nature Nerd Wednesdays with my favorite quote from one of my all-time favorite nature writers: Henry David Thoreau.  His writings in Walden chronicle the two years he spent living in the forest near Walden pond, and include an abundance of thought-provoking revelations, quirky humor, and beautiful nature writing. Thoreau offers this reasoning for his decision to live in the woods for two years:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what is not life..."

This quote is wonderful because it says so much-- really, one can meditate on its meaning and application to present-day life for hours.  Overall, it speaks of the ideal of simplicity that is an overarching theme of Walden: to live simply, dealing with only the basic necessities, and keeping life uncluttered in order to be more aware and to more fully enjoy the experiences that are all around us.  Simplicity is also a key component of sustainable living: Thoreau's writings from the mid-1800's are a great inspiration for going green with your lifestyle today.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog entry comes at a perfect time. I recently saw the following quote and posted it on my Facebook page:

    If we do not feel grateful for what we already have,
    What makes us think we'd be happy with more?

    I wish I could reference the speaker but I don't have that information; but it sounds very Thoreau-esque.

    ReplyDelete