Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week!

This week, I wanted to share with you a photo that probably looks very familiar, as it is featured prominently as the background wallpaper on this blog!  This photo was taken a few years ago, in the woods surrounding the home where I grew up.  This photo features a lovely trillium-- a flower that has come to mean a lot to me.


I saw my first trillium when I was a child, walking through the woods with my grandpa specifically on a quest to find this elusive flower.  Trillium only bloom for a few short weeks in late spring, and being able to find one takes a combination of good timing and knowing where to look.  These flowers love shady areas and can typically be found growing near fallen and decaying trees.  That particular day, my grandpa and I counted 87 trillium flowers on our walk through the woods. Grandpa always told me to never pick a trillium: if you do, they won't grow back for seven years, he said.  I'm not sure if that's true, but to this day I have never picked one, preferring to listen to grandpa's advice and instead enjoy these beautiful flowers in their natural surroundings and to ensure their return the following year. Even though he is no longer here, I still like to walk through the woods in springtime to see how many trillium I can find. These quests are a yearly ritual that connect me with a piece of nature that inspired my love and sense of wonder for the natural world at a young age, and also connect me with wonderful memories of my grandpa.

 If you're really lucky, some years you can even find pink and purple trillium flowers!

Are there any nature experiences, specific locations, or sights that hold fond memories for you? Please share in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment