Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week!

You may have noticed that I failed to post a new blog this weekend, but you'll see in our Nature Nerd Wednesday photo below that I had a good reason!  Instead of the usual routine, I took a trip down to the Columbia Gorge and did some hiking in the beautiful Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

The photo I want to share with you was taken on the Falls Creek Falls hike.  After tumbling down the falls from a height over over 200 feet, Falls Creek rushes and gurgles through a peaceful old-growth forest.  Approaching the creek, you can hear the increasingly loud and unmistakable sound of flowing water. The stillness of the forest contrasts with the rushing of the creek - this artery of water pulsing life through the quiet. Gazing at the chilly creek lined with damp, moss covered boulders and shaded by massive old growth trees, one can't help but feel as though time has melted away. The ancient forest in which you stand and the relentless creek flowing through it appears as though it has been unchanged since creation.  The sound of this creek must have soothed the soul of many weary wanderers, and its cold water quenched the thirst of humans, animals, and the massive ancient trees that stand guard over it as well.

1 comment: