Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Nature Nerd Wednesdays: National Park Edition

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week!

Our National Parks have been one of the many unfortunate casualties of the current government shutdown, so this Nature Nerd Wednesday, I am bringing the National Park to you! I came across this beautiful photo of Sol Duc Falls in the Olympic National Park, and thought it was a perfect photo to share this week.

 
 Photo Credit: Ross Hamilton Photography 
http://www.rosshamiltonphotography.com/gallery/solduc.html

When I see photos like this, I like to imagine myself in them and picture what it would be like to be in this place: what it looks, feels, smells, and sounds like. This can be a very refreshing little exercise! 

Just imagine standing on the wooden bridge suspended over the Sol Duc river, its well-worn boards slippery beneath your feet. Feel the warm sunshine on your face as you stand enveloped by the sound of rushing, frothing water and the misty spray sent airborne by the turbulence of the falls.  A damp, earthy smell emanates from the mossy old-growth forest surrounding you, amplified by the warmth of the sunlight.  There may be birds singing or a light breeze rustling the tree branches, but all you can hear is the sound of roaring water...

Sadly, staring at the photo above and picturing yourself there in your mind is the closest any of us will be able to get to this beautiful place for the foreseeable future.  Aside from resulting in many ruined vacations, the abrupt closure of our National Parks is a tragedy in that people are being prohibited from visiting some of the most stunning and awe-inspiring scenery on the planet.  Our souls crave the beauty, serenity, and inspiration to be found in nature, and being cut off from enjoying some of these places is truly unfortunate.

1 comment:

  1. Marvelous. I appreciate being brought to that National Park via your blog article; and I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete