Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week! 

I'm sure we've all been there: in the midst of a long workweek, you sit at your desk, languishing in the blue glow of your computer monitor and longingly think to yourself,  "I wish I could be watching Old Faithful erupt right now"... no... just me? Well, in any case, languish no more because this Nature Nerd Wednesday, we're enjoying the Geyser Live webcam in Yellowstone National Park, courtesy of the National Park Service.  Today, I probably spent way more time than I should have squinting at the partially frozen-over webcam image of the lovely wintry scenery of a blizzard in Yellowstone, with geysers steaming in the background.  This particular webcam changes vantage points throughout the day to capture the eruptions of several different geysers in the area.

Ah, bliss! One view from the National Park Service webcam at Yellowstone: the snowy valley dotted with trees and steaming geysers.
Old Faithful this morning, issuing a thick cloud of steam into the chilly air
 
This webcam is one of many belonging to the National Park Service, and offers a refreshing escape from your office, home, or any other indoor space you might be confined to during the day; transporting you to the wilderness of our nation's most well-known national park. What I really love about this particular webcam is the fact that it is a live video stream, rather than a static image that is refreshed every 10-15 minutes. This enables you to view real-time images of geysers erupting, steam wafting, snowflakes falling, and wildlife passing by... during the time I viewed the webcam, I was actually able to see a small furry critter scurrying across the picture, but the copious amounts of steam rising from the geyser and obscuring the picture sadly prevented me from identifying it.

Technology does not always have a positive impact on our society, but the National Park Service webcams that bring our national parks and natural scenery right into our homes is technology that I can get on board with! These webcams can have a tremendous impact by allowing people to create a connection with a part of our environment they might not otherwise be able to experience for themselves.  Hopefully, it will inspire them to make a point of visiting and appreciating these parks in person someday.

For a full list of the National Park Service webcams, check out their website here

No comments:

Post a Comment