Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week!

What is the result of combining an iconic Seattle-area waterfall with more than a week of freezing cold temperatures? See for yourself in the beautiful scene at Snoqualmie Falls pictured below, captured by local photographer Steven Leonti.



Leonti commented:
"I pass Snoqualmie Falls every time I drive to my aunt's house but I almost never stop to look at them. Because of the recent cold temperatures I figured there might be snow or ice and I was right. The falls were gorgeous and I love that they're so close and easily accessible... I love to take landscapes every now and then and this beautiful state makes it very easy to do."
Most of us have seen the falls in sunshine and in rain, and they are always an impressive sight, but they are especially magnificent in their frozen state! The falls seems to create its own wintry scenery as the spray sent airborne by the crashing water freezes in a thick layer over everything in the immediate vicinity. 

It is rare for the Seattle area to have such an extended streak of below-freezing temperatures, and although we may complain about frozen fingers and toes, skyrocketing heat bills and icy roads, it is hard to complain when the cold weather allows us the opportunity to see such lovely scenery and to appreciate the beauty of nature all that much more!

Many thanks to Steven Leonti for allowing me to share these photos. To see more of his work, be sure to check out the Steven Leonti Photography page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment