Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week!

Happy New Year to all!  Without fail, the ushering in of a brand new year brings with it a sense of inspiration, hope, and new possibilities. Every year as the clock ticks toward midnight and I watch the ball drop on television (sitting at home in my pajamas - yes, I am quite a party animal!), I find myself wondering, "what will my life be like at this exact moment next year? What does the new year hold in store?" 2013 had its ups and downs to be sure, but I would have to say that one of the brightest moments of the year was my spur-of-the-moment decision to start this blog.  I've learned a great deal researching environmental issues for A Day Without Rain, and have enjoyed every moment.  Hopefully you have, as well!

The photos for this week's Nature Nerd Wednesday are symbolic of the beginnings of a new year.  I took these photos one quiet morning a few years ago as the sun rose over the wintry landscape outside my window, which was blanketed in fresh snow. 

Early stage of the sunrise - yes, I was being lazy and shot this photo from my window... you can see the reflection of my camera in the lower left. Whoops!
The same view just a short while later: the sun had fully risen at this point, displaying this beautiful scene of untouched snow, frozen trees and dark snow clouds piled up over the Cascade mountains.

Much like the dawning of a new morning over a landscape of perfect, untouched snow, so does the New Year dawn in rosy brilliance and wait in hushed expectation for us to leave our footprints upon it. So here's to 2014: may our footprints lead us to a year filled with happiness... and hopefully, plenty of outdoor adventures!

I'm not one to make resolutions - let's just call them "goals"... my goal for the new year is to spend more time hiking and adventuring in the outdoors! There are so many beautiful sights, hiking trails, and state parks within a reasonable distance from my home in Western Washington, and I plan to get out and see them firsthand, and share them with you all here. What are your goals for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment