Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week!

In honor of this Saturday being World Water Day, I decided to find a water-themed photo for this Nature Nerd Wednesday... and what better photo than the beautiful one below of the newly-christened Official Waterfall of Washington State?  Take a look at Palouse Falls:

Source: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/seasonal-hikes/spring-destinations/10_great-desert-hikes
What a breathtaking scene, and so unexpected amidst the desert-like landscape.  I can just feel that dry Eastern Washington heat soaking into my skin and hear the roar of the falls as it plunges into the basin below. 

Just yesterday, Governor Inslee's signature made official the designation of Palouse Falls as the State Waterfall.  I have to admit, I wasn't convinced at first that this was the best choice for the state waterfall of Washington. Call me a West-side nature snob if you will, but I prefer my scenery a little greener. Washington is largely known for being lush, verdant, and covered with trees, and the scenery surrounding Palouse Falls, well... isn't.

That being said, after looking at some pretty amazing photos of Palouse Falls, I have to agree that this imposing 198-foot falls certainly is magnificent and well-worthy of being the Official Waterfall of Washington.  This designation also calls attention to the diversity of landscapes and ecosystems in Washington State that many non-Washingtonians may not have been aware of.  The Evergreen State isn't all lush and green... but that doesn't mean that it isn't all beautiful!

Click here to learn more about Palouse Falls State Park

No comments:

Post a Comment