Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week! 

Spring rain showers are a familiar occurrence in the Pacific Northwest, and although it may be true that "April showers bring May flowers," there are already plenty of flowers to be found in this nascent spring season.

I recently captured the photo below of a resilient early-season blossom laden with raindrops after a particularly violent thunderstorm.

Lainey Piland photo
As I am frequently known to do, I was recently perusing through writings of Thoreau searching for inspiration, and came across the following passage from Walden that is strongly reminiscent of the very essence of springtime rain showers:
"In the midst of a gentle rain... I was suddenly sensible of such sweet and beneficent society in Nature, in the very pattering of the drops, and in every sound and sight around my house, an infinite and unaccountable friendliness all at once like an atmosphere sustaining me... I was so distinctly made aware of the presence of something kindred to me, even in scenes which we are accustomed to call wild and dreary... that I thought no place could ever be strange to me again."
I'm sure there are many who have experienced the phenomenon that Thoreau so eloquently described above.  Before snapping the photo, I stood gazing at the bright pink flower, feeling keenly aware of a shared kinship in that both of us had weathered the storm and both of us were soaked with the same raindrops. However, while the flower was exquisite and beautiful in its delicate array of glistening droplets, the same certainly could not be said for my shivering, soggy, frizzy-haired self... clearly, that kinship will only go so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment