Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week!
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."  ~Rachel Carson
Lainey Piland photo
Truly, every time I step outdoors with the wherewithal to take notice of the natural world around me, I find something beautiful, interesting, or inspiring.  These unexpected discoveries can even occur after the fact, as with the photo above.  I was perusing some photographs from my recent hike at the Redmond Watershed Preserve, and was struck by the optical illusion in this photo, which went unnoticed while I was physically in the midst of this nature experience.

I was attempting to photograph the moss-covered log resting on the surface of a large pond near the entrance to the Watershed Preserve.  However, it is the background of the photo - the crisp reflection of the Doug Fir and cedar trees on the perfectly still, murky water - that captures your eye.  Is this a photo of a reflection in a pond, or is it a photo of the forest with a mossy downed tree jutting out in the foreground?  Even being the photographer in this case, I had to do a double-take!

Have you ever noticed something unexpected or mysterious in nature? Feel free to share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment