Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week!
If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive.  ~Eleonora Duse 
Lainey Piland photo

Although dandelions are often a bane to the homeowners pursuing the smooth green perfection of a weedless lawn, I have found that I don't share this aversion. My horses like to eat them, I like to photograph them, and of course, everyone loves to pluck them after they've gone to seed and wave the hollow stem through the air, sending their downy seeds flying into the wind.

As soon as I saw this field filled with blooming dandelions, I couldn't wait to sprawl out in the sun-warmed grass and admire those familiar buttery yellow blossoms up close.  It truly is a joyful feeling to be able to give in to those impulses... if you feel like lying down in the grass, or stretching out on your back to watch clouds sailing overhead, or taking off your shoes and dipping your toes into a creek... then do it!  Find joy in the simple things in nature - as stated so beautifully in the quote above, these things truly do make your soul feel alive.

Markster enjoying some tasty dandelions.  Lainey Piland photo

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I always look forward to having the chance to blog about environmental issues. It's very refreshing. Of course, nothing beats actually getting out and experiencing nature.

    ReplyDelete