Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays!  By the middle of the workweek, I know that I'm ready for a pick-me-up, for some inspiration -- and for that reason I decided to post a nature photo or quote each Wednesday.  Perusing works of nature writing and photography helps me reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature, which is something we all can benefit from in the middle of a busy, stressful work week!

In both sight and sound, there is something calming and nearly hypnotic about the ocean, in the ceaseless waves rolling ashore.  It is difficult not to become entranced by the crashing, splashing sound of the wave breaking, followed by a gentle hissing as it advances and then retreats from the sandy beach, then repeats the process once more. And once more. And...


This short video was captured along the beach at American Camp on San Juan Island.  If I were to lift the camera up, you would be looking out toward Haro Strait. 

As I mentioned in a recent post, this area is increasingly at risk of oil spills due to rising oil tanker traffic in northern Puget Sound. How sad it would be to see these peaceful waves stained and poisoned with oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment