Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

It can be difficult to cope with situations or periods in our lives where we feel out of place; where the scenery surrounding us is unfamiliar and lacking the sense of comfort and home to which we are accustomed.  But these situations can also be opportunities for new discoveries.

For the majority of my life, I lived in areas surrounded by trees and nature. Birds were chirping, the air was fresh, and towering doug fir, maple, and cedar trees watched over the comings and goings of my life.  The last few years however, I've been living in a small condo surrounded by freeways and parking lots. There are a few trees around, but not enough to block out the noise and view of nearby street traffic and make this place feel like home.

When we find ourselves in new situations or surroundings, it commonly happens that we find something new to appreciate, something new to which we can attach a sense of belonging.  Instead of verdure, my current abode offers amazing views of that great expanse of sky stretching overhead which heretofore has largely been blocked from view by my beloved trees.

This Nature Nerd Wednesday, I wanted to share with you an accidental photo project that has been about nine months in the making.  It started out with a photo of lovely fall foliage on a brilliant sunny day, and continued from there as I occasionally wandered out onto my balcony and snapped photos of clouds, sunsets, blue sky... whatever beautiful sight captured my attention at that particular moment. 

These were all taken from the same place and for the most part, I was able to frame the photos between the same treetops.  So here we have it: a new aspect of nature I've been able to connect to in my new home... represented in four seasons of sky photos.

Photo #1 - Autumn
Photo #2 - Winter snow day

Photo #3 - Winter sunset
Photo #4 - Raincloud
Photo #5 - Early spring afternoon
Photo #6 - Spring storms
Photo #7 - Spring storms round two
Photo #8 - Moonrise
Photo #9 - Lazy summer afternoon
Photo #10 - Dusky summer evening
Photo #11 - Last rays of light
...needless to say, I have gained a whole new appreciation for the depth of a clear blue sky, and for the beauty and ever-changing magnificence of clouds!

No comments:

Post a Comment