Friday, September 26, 2014

The Place Where I Live

Snoqualmie Valley near Carnation Farm - Lainey Piland photo

Comfort. Proximity. Inspiration. Peace. Memories. Familiarity. Family and friends. A particular place can earn the title of "home" for so many reasons. This one tiny dot on Earth's surface happens to hold just the right qualities that capture our hearts and cause us to decide, yes. This is the place.

I recently wrote a short piece to share on the "Place Where You Live" page of Orion Magazine's website. However, the more I think about it, the piece I wrote would more accurately be called "The Place Where I Lived/ The Place Where I Will Hopefully Live Again Soon".

I wrote about the Snoqualmie Valley, the place I lived most of my life, and the place where I still do a good deal of my living, although it is currently not the place I lay my head to sleep every night.

Click here to read my piece about "The Place Where You Live" on the Orion Magazine website.

View of Mount Rainier from Carnation - Lainey Piland photo

Although I'd rather be living somewhere in the Sno Valley area, I'm trying to find some good, homey things in the place where I currently reside - a small condo in a Seattle suburb, just a stone's throw from a major freeway. It's a work in progress...

There are small stands of familiar trees on the property - western red cedar and Doug fir - which are surprisingly large and hearty for their location. There are two female Anna's hummingbirds that - for most of the day, every day lately - squabble, scold, and chase one another around and through the branches of a large Althea tree outside my window.  There are sweet fawn-colored rabbits that show up in the evening hours to nibble the sparse green patch of lawn along the sidewalk, leaving little rabbit poops for everyone to step in on their way to work in the mornings. There is a surprisingly great view of Mount Rainier visible in the wintertime through the bare branches of deciduous trees outside the front windows. There certainly are things to enjoy here, even though this place will probably never quite feel like "home".

What are the endearing, unique, homey features of the place you live? I'd love to hear about them in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment