Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

There are beautiful sounds aplenty in this cathedral.  Saint Edward State Park - Lainey Piland photo

I grew up in a relatively rural area where our house was tucked back into the trees and our nearest neighbor was a five-minute walk away.  One of the things I miss the most about living in that setting is the quiet. Stepping out the front door, all you heard were birds chirping, trees rustling in a breeze, an occasional airplane rumbling overhead... while there were plenty of sounds to listen to, there was very little noise.  No traffic roaring on a nearby freeway, sirens wailing, neighbors slamming doors or car alarms honking.

When I am able to get out for a hike, the hushed quiet and subtle music of natural voices are an experience to treasure. They are calming and refreshing; soothing the nerves rather than setting them on edge.

This Nature Nerd Wednesday, take a listen to the podcast excerpt below, featuring "A Guided Walk in the Hoh Rainforest," where acoustic ecologist Gordon Hempton (founder of One Square Inch of Silence) guides listeners through the soundscape along the trail to One Square Inch. The sounds Hempton has recorded are just magical and completely soothing, as is his narration.



I particularly enjoy listening to the sound of rain, which can thankfully be heard wherever you happen to be, whether rural or urban.  What is your favorite sound in nature? Share in the comments below!

To listen to more of Gordon Hempton's recordings (sans narration), check out the Breathing Space page on the One Square Inch of Silence website.

Related post on A Day Without Rain: Musings- Noise Pollution and the Search for Natural Soundscapes

2 comments:

  1. My favorite sound in nature is the strong buzzing of hummingbird wings that almost always catch me by surprise when I'm outside. The buzzing sounds like a VERY large bee, but alas, it's my hummingbird visitors at the two feeders I have on my property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those hummingbird wings do sound disconcertingly like large bees. I enjoy that sound as well... once I identify that it is indeed a hummingbird and not something ready to sting me! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete