Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

"I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes." ~ e.e. cummings  


I went for a short hike at Saint Edward State Park last Saturday and was so enamored with the newly-budded leaves on the bigleaf maple trees. Those yellow-green leaves contrasted beautifully against the deep blue of that infinite late-afternoon sky.

I had to snap a few photos, of course, and spent so much time walking with my head tilted back, looking up at the sky, that I almost walked right off the trail and tumbled down a steep hillside. Whoops.
 


In a few weeks' time, these bigleaf maples will truly live up to their name; sporting vibrantly green leafy canopies that shut out the sky, enclosing the world below in their cool verdant light. Although I love walking beneath their protective umbrella of leaves and marveling at the natural cathedral they form, it was wonderful to catch them in early spring, when their "leaping greenly spirits" are just awakening from a long winter slumber.

This year has been the first where I've consciously noted and sought out signs of the changing seasons... this plant is blooming, that plant is leafing out, this bird has returned from its winter migration... it's really quite fun and has opened my eyes to beautiful moments like the ones I attempted to photograph above.

I hope to have a new Wanderings post up later this week with more photos from the hike... stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment