Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

The sea pronounces something, over and over, in a hoarse whisper; I cannot quite make it out. ~Annie Dillard
There is something mysterious and beguiling about the ocean that awakens our curiosity and draws us to its shores. Perhaps the most favored pastime on our west coast shores is settling in to watch the sun set. The combined efforts of sea and sky together produce a sight that never fails to amaze.

I took the photo above at Kayak Point, looking out over the waters of Port Susan as the sun set behind Camano Island. As I fiddled with the settings on my camera and grew increasingly frustrated with what appeared to be one blurry shot after another, I was deaf to the ocean before me, with its dark, gently undulating waters reflecting pastel sunset hues, trying to whisper a feeling of tranquility into my soul. 

After returning home, I gratefully discovered that my photos weren't blurry after all. Staring at the miraculously crystal-clear images, I can see the waves rising and falling, smell the salty air, and feel the last rays of the sun's warmth fading away as those tranquil "hoarse whispers" echo in my ears.


Looking for a fun activity for the weekend? The Nature Conservancy is hosting Port Susan Bay Day this Saturday, to highlight restoration work there and to celebrate the natural beauty of the area. Click here for details. Perhaps you can swing by Kayak Point on the way home and catch a sunset for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment