Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

Wet leaves at Saint Edward State Park. Took this photo in May - this was the last rainy hike I went on!

Cold gray skies pouring
Raindrops fall. Soaking. Quenching.
Our state, evergreen.

Our state - land and people alike - is thirsty for some rain. For cloudy skies. For the sweet, clean smell of soaked earth. In fact, the Washington State Department of Ecology sent out a Tweet asking people to share Haiku poems to make it rain. The end result was a rain dance expressed in the words of Pacific Northwesterners desperate for some precipitation. The poem above is my contribution.

If you love the sound of rain and miss it as much as I do, take a listen to Gordon Hempton's "Forest Rain" recording on the One Square Inch website. The musical tones of those splashing raindrops in Washington's Olympic rainforest will make you feel right at home.

Feel free to contribute your own "make it rain" Haiku in the comments below!



Related posts:

Musings: Missing Washington

Musings: Embracing the Rain


2 comments:

  1. With my office window open, letting in the previous evening's coolness, and the recording of rain found on the link you provided, I was almost able to convince myself that it was indeed raining. What a great way to start my day. (This isn't a Haiku, it's an Ireneku.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Ireneku! :) Hopefully we'll get a chance to hear some real rain soon.. looks like there's a chance early next week. Keeping my fingers crossed!

      Delete