Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

Sunlit storm clouds. Lainey Piland photo

"I am sure it is a great mistake always to know enough to go in when it rains. One may keep snug and dry by such knowledge, but one misses a world of loveliness." ~Adeline Knapp

That's a sentiment with which any Pacific Northwesterner would surely agree. We're used to seeing our landscape transformed by the rain, and we know there is beauty in every glistening drop, every musical note of water splashing on leaf, roof, and wet pavement. Take a look at the morning rainshower captured in the short film from Nature 365:


Nature 365: August 3, 2015 from FollowFocus on Vimeo.

My recent blog post about my visit to the Cedar River Watershed describes a moment in the forest when dead hemlock needles drifted down upon us like a golden rain from the boughs overhead. The film above captures a golden rain in a literal sense! Here, the low rays of early morning sunlight flood the scene in a muted, ethereal glow... truly a "world of loveliness."

I know I've been a bit rain-obsessed on the blog lately... must be a side effect of the drought we're currently in. I miss the sight, sound, and smell of rain. I miss the green landscape we used to have. Maybe our precipitation will come back if I send enough rain-hopeful thoughts out into the universe. Worth a try, right?

2 comments:

  1. Lovely musings. It rained very gently and lightly this morning as I lay in bed, hoping it would last and give the garden and thirsty plants/trees a soak. Drat! Great hiking with you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely missed the rain this morning, but I woke up to the smell of it wafting in through my open window. Would be nice to have a few days of pouring rain... we definitely have a lot of thirsty trees and gardens around here!

      Thanks for reading, Jill! Was great hiking with you yesterday too. :)

      Delete