Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

Autumn is here!
 Fall, leaves, fall; die, flowers, away;
Lengthen night and shorten day!
Every leaf speaks bliss to me,
Fluttering from the autumn tree...
~Emily Brontë
Everyone join me in releasing a long sigh of relief: autumn has arrived. As of today, our long, hot summer has come to an end, and we can look forward to cooler temperatures and (hopefully) wetter weather. We can enjoy the leaves turning color, now that it's the appropriate season for such things, as opposed to being alarmed when we were seeing maples turning yellow in July, thanks to the drought.

On this first day of autumn, there are already plenty of gorgeous colors to see outside our windows, on the trails, and in the forest as plants begin to put on a final display of brilliance before laying to rest for the winter. Here are a few plants I spotted wearing their autumn colors during the forest ecology class I attended last weekend:

Fireweed
Vine maple
Bunchberry, sans berries.

As you can see, it's not only the big leafy trees that change colors in autumn! Be sure to tear your eyes from the treetops and look at the ground underfoot for those colorful seasonal hues.


1 comment:

  1. Yes! I'm with you on autumn, my favorite season, although I would disagree with myself in the midst of every other season (except February into early March). Saw a bunch of cool 'shrooms on my hike last weekend. They are loving the spurts of rain.

    ReplyDelete