Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

Lainey Piland photo

I have a confession. Today is my birthday. And it's kind of a big one. My 30th one. As I sit here and ponder the impossible fact that my life can now be divided into two equal parts, where the length of time between my birth and age 15 is equivalent to the length of time between age 15 and today (wasn't I just 15 like, a few years ago???), I'm struck by how quickly time passes in retrospect. Although a certain day or moment can feel like it stretches on forever, when you look back at the last few hundred... or thousand... days altogether, they seem to have passed in the blink of an eye, as though they're running in fast-forward.

These thoughts came to mind when I stumbled across the awesome film below, which I'm excited to share for this Nature Nerd Wednesday. Created by Samuel Orr, this film uses 40,000 images captured from Orr's window to document the passing of a year in the forest. With each season, the quality of light, path of the sun, colors, and foliage shift and change, combining to create a unique landscape from one moment to another that is equally beautiful in its fluid whole as it is in each frozen moment.

Take a nature break and enjoy...



What a lovely view to have from your own home! I'm a little jealous. And what a creative and unique way to connect with your surroundings by documenting the changing seasons and scenery every day.

In my thirties and beyond, I hope to cultivate a life in which each moment can be seen as part of a wonderful and fascinating whole, just like the film above. Although when I look back thirty years from now and it may feel like time passed so quickly like a year viewed in fast-forward, I hope that I can at least say... there was color, there was light, there was growth, and it was beautiful.


2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday Lainey!! I expect your thirties will be brilliant! I preferred my thirties over my twenties. You have things a little more figured out, you're at your prime, enough time on the plant to understand a lot more about life but enough left (we trust) to begin and plant new seeds. Thanks for sharing the lovely film, I agree, envious of his view. May the decade ahead bring you new wisdom and joy beyond your imaginings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jill! I've heard from a lot of people that their thirties were much preferred over their twenties, so I have high expectations! ;) Excited for this new decade of life, hopefully with lots of adventures! Thanks for reading, as always!

      Delete