Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...



If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere.
~ Vincent van Gogh 


The photo above isn't anything glamorous. It's moss. In fact, it's moss growing on the side of the very un-glamorous concrete manure bin at the barn where I keep my horse. The tiny reaching tendrils and clinging drops of rainwater caught my eye as I walked past, so I stopped for a closer look. In part, I was fascinated, and in part was rolling my eyes at myself for being so interested in something as mundane as moss. 

But sometimes, we find beauty or fascination in unexpected and seemingly unreasonable places, and I'm finding this to be true the more I study, write about, and photograph nature. Take, for example, a hike I went on recently. Walking through the forest in the midst of a chilly downpour and well on my way to being soaked through to the skin, I was in no mood to pay attention to anything other than keeping myself warm and getting back to the trailhead and warm dry car as quickly as possible. Despite these unfavorable conditions, I was still drawn to a stop by the sight of water dripping down the steep face of a fern- and moss- carpeted bank. Each drip seemed perfectly timed, adhering to a silent rhythm that made me wonder for a moment what it would sound like if played on the rain drums at the Cedar River Watershed Education Center. My husband used his cell phone to capture a slow-motion video of the dripping water... take a look:


Slightly mesmerizing, no?

Stay tuned for a new blog post later this week with photos from my rainy day hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment