Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

We love our Washington rain... but hiking on trails like this is getting tiresome this winter!

It has been a long, soggy winter here in western Washington. Aside from the sunny yellow daffodils and snowy white cherry blossoms that have begun to signal the imminent arrival of spring, there has been little relief from the gray overcast skies and cold, soaking rain.

I will always sing the praises of our beautiful, rainy, green state, but even a native Pacific Northwesterner like myself gets to the point where I'm feeling just a little bit too rain-saturated. If you're also weary of encountering sidewalk puddles, squishy sponge-like lawns and hiking trails that have transformed into waterlogged muck... then take a look at the newest film from More Than Just Parks and escape to the stunning desert beauty of Zion National Park, where you'll be brushing red dust from your socks after a hike rather than stomping sticky mud from your boots.




Unbelievable scenery. This is MTJP's best film by far, in my opinion (sorry, Olympic National Park...). I was lucky enough to visit Zion National Park on one of many road trips with my dad and sister when I was younger, and I remember being so taken with those dusty red paths, soaring sandstone rock formations, the wide creeks with their shallow gray-green water rippling over the rocky streambed; the astounding trees growing in the dry soil or clinging to steep canyon walls; the wide-open dazzling blue skies... this place just tugs at my soul in a way I can't really explain. All of those elements are captured so perfectly by the filmmakers here. That's enough to chase my rainy-day blues away!

No comments:

Post a Comment