Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...



We're now well into the summer season, and the Fourth of July is already behind us. I will admit, the Fourth of July is not my favorite holiday, entirely because of fireworks exploding throughout the night, frightening pets and wildlife and leaving the world cloaked in a smoggy sulfurous haze that turns the edges of the sky pink and hides all sight of Rainier and the Olympic Mountains for days afterward.

I found the film below (a time-lapse nature film, naturally) featuring the sweeping desert landscapes and wide open skies of California, Arizona and Utah. As I watched those starry skies glittering on my computer screen, I thought to myself that these are the only "fireworks" I want to see exploding in the heavens above. If only the night skies were dark enough for all these stars to be visible with our own eyes... we'd have no need for pyrotechnics on the Fourth of July. We'd only need to step outside and look up, and there we'd find all the "ooohs" and "aaaahs" we could hope for.

Rise – The Prediction of Everything 4K from Kai Gradert on Vimeo.

Did you know that our night skies are endangered? Check out the International Dark Sky Association to learn more about light pollution and its negative impacts on wildlife, ecosystems, energy, and human health.


2 comments:

  1. Yes! Thank you! Light pollution is a sad threat. I read an article a year or two ago saying that the current generation is the first in world history that might go their whole lives without seeing the starry night sky. I think there was a good special on PBS about light pollution fairly recently also. Thanks for your thoughtful posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Jill! I'll have to look up that PBS show on light pollution. I was thinking of doing a blog post on the subject, because I heard the same thing: that the current generation could go their whole lives without ever seeing the Milky Way. I've only seen it a few times myself, and then just very faintly. The perspective and wonder we gain from gazing at the starry night sky is just too precious an experience to lose.

      Delete