Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

Well, they've done it again. Brothers Will and Jim Pattiz of More Than Just Parks have created yet another sublime film celebrating our National Parks. This time, the subject was Grand Teton National Park, where the peaks of those rocky mountains rise high above the landscape and reside in the swirling, frothing clouds, where shadows chase one another across green meadows and serene lakes reflect sky, mountains, and trees.



Aside from the soul-soothing scenery, my favorite aspect of this film is the one thing that remains consistent from frame to frame: the Teton mountains presiding over every scene. Whether we're looking at a lake, forest, meadow, or peering out from beneath the eaves of an old front porch with the world's most enviable view, every scene includes the familiar mountains in the background. This lends a sense of permanence to this place, as though it has been and will eternally be exactly the place of surpassing, soaring beauty as we see it today.

Do you need more Tetons? Be sure to read Terry Tempest Williams' newest book The Hour of Land, which is a beautiful recounting of the author's memories and experiences in many different national parks, and... you guessed it... the opening chapter is about Grand Teton National Park.

Still need more Tetons? Check out this song called As We Ran from my current favorite group, The National Parks - it's sure to lift your spirits and get your toes tapping on this long Wednesday:


 
What unchanging and permanent feature do you notice in your home landscape? For me, I'd have to say mountains as well - the Pacific Northwest mountains that form the points of my compass and which always preside over the comings and goings of my life: Rainier in the south, the Olympics in the west, Baker in the north, and my dear Cascades in the east.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, and that song! Years ago when I was flying to college in Illinois one beautiful September day, we flew close over the south end of the Grand Tetons. Because we were a bit ahead of schedule, and this was well before 9/11 and Homeland Security, the pilot did a circle loop over an alpine lake high on the mountain. It was a memorable flight. I don't think that would happen today on a commercial jetliner flight. And for me, yes the Cascades and volcanoes are my compass, but also the Salish Sea. when I lived in Illinois and Boston for a bit, my mind would play tricks on me. When I saw a billowing cloud low on the horizon I would think, Mountain! for a split second.

    ReplyDelete