Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

 Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

There's no better place to spend a hot day than in the cool shade of the forest...

This week I'm keeping things short and sweet... I almost skipped this week's blog post, but then thought to myself - hey, I need a Nature Nerd Wednesday, myself! So join me in taking a deep breath and reveling in a much- needed nature break.

The next few days are going to be sweltering, with high temperatures in western Washington forecast to be in the low to mid-nineties by Saturday. Luckily, I'll be spending Saturday roaming through the deep shade of old-growth forest for an ecology class. We often run to the beach to cool off on hot days, but in many cases, a forest will offer more shade, cooler temperatures, and if you're lucky, a cold stream or clear lake in which to dip your toes.

So in recognition of the upcoming heat wave - and of next week's National Park Centennial - take a few minutes to cool off with this lovely film featuring the Hoh Rainforest in Olympic National Park.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! And your class sounds fantastic! I wonder where you will take this knowledge you are gaining and cultivating. Of course you write beautifully about it. Did you make it to the Hoh last Wednesday for the classical musicians performing along the trail? I tried to go but missed the ferry and then it was too late for such a long drive. The Hoh rainforest holds a special place for me - on my first week-long backpack when I was 15 we went up the Hoh, then up to Hoh Lake, over the High Divide, down into Seven Lakes Basin, and down into Sol Duc. We only encountered one other party out there in 5 days!! Back then it was truly a wilderness experience in the remote sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your weeklong backpacking trip in the Hoh rainforest sounds magical! I'd love to escape to the wilderness and see hardly any other humans for an entire week. I'm sure things are getting a bit more crowded out there lately, but hopefully the increase in traffic is resulting in a stronger sense of conservation for those who visit, so the Hoh rainforest and other wilderness areas will stay protected. Let's hope anyway! Do you have any plans for a return trip to those places?

      I'm sorry you missed the ferry! That's such a bummer... it would have been an interesting experience to listen to these musicians play live, out in nature. I had to work, so wasn't able to escape to the peninsula and catch the performance myself. I'll keep an eye out in case they come back this way sometime...

      Delete