Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

Sadly, not the view from my house... but this hike to Barclay Lake at the end of May was the last time I saw fog!

Monday morning, I awakened to a sight I haven't seen since the hot summer weather set in - a sure sign that autumn is quickly approaching. Opening the curtains and peering outside, I beheld a world completely socked in by thick fog. It was one of those especially heavy, wet fogs that leaves everything coated in droplets, dripping with a soft patter, patter, splat - as though a rain shower had just passed through.

The symphony of dripping moisture issuing from the trees hidden somewhere in that heavy cloak of fog reminded me of one of my favorite sounds: the rain drums at the Cedar River Watershed Education Center. I really can't explain why I'm so enamored with them. Perhaps it's the deep, rich reverberations that resound in your chest, perhaps it's the marvel of listening to music created by dripping water - whatever the reason, I find them quite enjoyable.

Here's a short video of the rain drums captured by my sister on our recent visit to the Cedar River Watershed Education Center:



What do you think? Are the rain drums awesome or what?


2 comments:

  1. So glad the clouds, rain, and cool weather have returned! Those drums are incredible. A trip to the Cedar River Watershed to see them in person is definitely going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving this weather too, Laura! :)

      This video only shows a few of the drums. They must have at least a dozen there! If you can attend one of their tours or programs during your visit, I highly recommend it! Lots of interesting information and history there.

      Delete