Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

View from the top of Mount Si - talk about gratitude! Lainey Piland photo

As each day comes to us refreshed and anew, so does my gratitude renew itself daily. The breaking of the sun over the horizon is my grateful heart dawning upon a blessed world.
-Terri Guillemets

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. How have we already arrived at this holiday?! Weren't we just yesterday in the midst of those hot, never-ending days of summertime? Ready or not, it's time to get our Thanksgiving pants out and prepare to load up on turkey and all the delicious carb-loaded side dishes as we give thanks for all of the good things in our lives.

Thanks. Gratitude. These are emotions we typically have to work to cultivate. It often takes conscious effort to appreciate the little, everyday, mundane blessings and good fortune we experience, especially during the trying times when there seems little to be grateful for.

One arena where gratitude always flows freely is - for me - in the outdoors. Every time I heave myself to the top of a mountain and get a first glimpse of that awe-inspiring view; every time I watch the hummingbirds squabbling in my backyard; every time I lay awake at 3am on a sleepless night and find company in the soft barking hoot of a barred owl outside my window; every time I set foot into the forest and squint up at the tall trees; every time I find that first trillium in spring... every time, once the initial awe subsides, all that remains is pure gratitude

Views from Sauk Mountain
First trillium, 2016 (Old Sauk River trail)

Old growth forest in the Cedar River Watershed

Anna's hummingbird in my backyard

I'm grateful for the beauty that exists in the world. I am grateful for the privilege of bearing witness to the wonders of the places I visit, to the wild lives being lived right outside my home, my work, the confines of my car. I am grateful to be part of it all, and to share it right here with all of you.

Happy Thanksgiving!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment