Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

Nootka rose on a rainy day at Deception Pass State Park. Lainey Piland photo

"Forests, lakes, and rivers, clouds and winds, stars and flowers, stupendous glaciers and crystal snowflakes - every form of animate or inanimate existence, leaves its impress upon the soul of man."    ~ Orison Swett Marden
These days, I find myself grasping at every connection with nature that comes my way. I'm feeling the effects of setting aside the hikes and outdoor experiences more adventurous than a lap around the block during this last trimester of my pregnancy. I miss the rare mountain air, the hush of the forest, the feeling of raindrops splattering onto my hood from branches overhead.

In preparation for the big delivery day, I've been reading up on mindfulness practices to hopefully make things more manageable when the time comes, just ten weeks from now. The more I read, the more I realize how the time I've spent exploring in the outdoors has already helped me begin to develop some of the attitudes and practices of mindfulness.

There are times I've gotten lost in examining wildflowers, watching a hummingbird at the feeder in my backyard, listening to the sound of a breeze whispering through hemlock trees or watching gentle waves lap against the shore of an alpine lake. In devoting one's entire focused attention to a particular sight or sound, you can ground yourself in the present moment, observing it mindfully and intentionally. It's amazing how refreshed you feel after such a reverie, where time seems to have stretched a little further than it normally does and you look around with eyes newly opened to the beautiful intricacies in the world around us that normally escape our attention.

It is these beautiful intricacies that have so far helped me through the last few months bereft of outdoor adventures. Every birdsong, every dramatic view of a stormy sky, every whiff of fresh air wafting under my nose reminds me of the adventures I've enjoyed in past years, and the joys I can look forward to returning to in just a few short months. This brings to mind some well-loved words from Thoureau:
"But I was at the same time conscious of a slight insanity in my mood, and seemed to foresee my recovery. In the midst of a gentle rain while these thoughts prevailed, I was suddenly sensible of such sweet and beneficent society in nature, in the very pattering of the drops, and in every sight and sound around my house, an infinite and unaccountable friendliness all at once like an atmosphere sustaining me... Every little pine needle expanded and swelled with sympathy and befriended me." - from Walden

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, Lainey! I think you will find that practicing mindfulness will help you in your birth. For me, I didn't specifically think about it during birth, but looking back on it, I realize that I subconciously used it during that time. I was able to stay in the moment enough and not think ahead too much which kept my anxiety at bay. I also took time to make decisions and didn't act too hastily. This served me well and I hope it does for you as well. You are getting close- I am so excited for you! 💚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! It's good to hear that practicing mindfulness was helpful for you, I'm sure it will be for me too! I feel like all my time in the outdoors, taking photos, studying and writing about it, has helped wire me in such a way that mindfulness comes naturally... just need to fit in more time for the "practicing" part so that when things get serious I'll be able to draw on that mindset. ;) We are getting so close, only two months to go. I can't believe it!

      Delete