Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Nature Nerd Wednesdays

Welcome to Nature Nerd Wednesdays, your mid-week nature break to reconnect with the calming, refreshing, and inspiring effects of nature. Take a deep breath and enjoy...

One of the hummingbirds in my backyard last fall. Lainey Piland photo

Spring is here, and that means nesting season for the birds! As I watch the hummingbirds visit my backyard feeder, I imagine them flying back to their tiny nests made of spiderwebs and bits of leaves, and feeding their nestlings with the nectar cooked up in my own kitchen.

Taking the time to pay attention to the wild lives paralleling our own human ones feeds our sense of wonder and compassion for other species. If you don't have a feeder or nest to ponder in your own yard, then take a look at these live webcams, which offer a close-up look at the daily lives of our avian neighbors.

The Rosie Hummingbird nest cam is a popular one, especially with one recently-hatched egg and another that's soon to follow!



The Decorah Eagles nest cam is a big hit, too. There is a fuzzy and awkward looking eaglet in the nest right now!

2 comments:

  1. I so need to get a hummingbird feeder! I see them around, just saw my first of the season last week zipping around the top of my camelia in bloom. I have a colony of feral cats I feed, though, and they are bird killers, so I have to be careful to not attract birds. A difficult conumdrum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that is a challenge! I'm afraid of attracting cats to the feeder as well. I think if it's hung high enough and away from potential kitty perching spots, it should be fine, fingers crossed! I love having the feeder... I spend my Saturday mornings lately sitting by the window, drinking my chai and watching the hummingbirds visit the feeder in the backyard. They're fun birds to watch. :)

      Delete